Friday 6 April 2012

Learning to read: Story 6

" We didn't have many books at home but most evenings I'd ask my mum to read a rather dull book about Robin Hood (obviously I didn't think it was dull at the time) to me.  One evening, I started to read aloud with my mum and started following the words with my finger.  She stopped reading and I carried on.  I could read.  As a result I was able to read to before I started school at the age of five, not because anyone had formally taught me the sounds of letters but through an engagement and familiarity with the story and pictures.  Later on, I was the first in my family to go to university.  Now I have an MA in Literary Studies and teach English and Drama at a high school in my adopted home of Copenhagen.  Thanks for addressing this issue. "

(from messaging on twitter)